Have you been trying to get his attention but feel like your efforts have been in vain? Does it feel like no matter what you do around your latest crush, he doesn’t even know you exist? Stop over thinking it and get down to the basics. There are a number of ways that you can get him to notice you; just remember to have fun with it, don’t try too hard and follow these easy steps.
• Do something amazing. We all notice people that do something amazing. Whether it’s the guy in your chem‘ lab or the hot dude in marketing, do something awesome that has people talking. Give a brilliant answer, do something for him that takes a load off his work, have an awesome article published or simply succeed in a way that has you standing out from the crowd of “average girls.”
• Walk in front of him. Don’t play hard to get. If you aren’t noticeable, he can’t notice you. Get in front of him. Sounds too obvious, right? How else is he going to notice you?
• Smile at him. Smile and make eye contact. When you smile at him, make sure he sees you do so. Men are much more likely to approach women who let them know they exist. He’s not going to ask you out if you look like Oscar the Grouch and aren’t sending him signals that you are interested. This is a very easy first step and an easy one to slip out of if he doesn’t respond in kind.
• Make him feel special. Men don’t often get what they need from women in terms of feeling awesome. Appreciate him or just acknowledge something wonderful he has done in a way that nobody else already has. “Hey, I saw that pitch you made to the boss way to go. I wish I had thought of that.”
• Flirt. Especially if he starts first. Flirting is an age-old method that many women think is too high-pressure for men, but it goes back to the same old theory that men won’t ask women out unless they know they are interested. If you aren’t flirting with him, he doesn’t know you exist. Or he might, but he certainly doesn’t know you are interested. Yet.
• Connect with him. And not by Facebook friending him, by finding something that the two of you have in common and make the actual connection with him. “Oh, you like the Rangers? My dad just got season tickets; we go all the time!”
• Don’t be too cool, but don’t try too hard either. It’s a fine line that we all need to practice. Playing hard to get will work against you, but being too easy to get will send the wrong message. You can master this art by combining all of the other techniques. Again, over-thinking dating and relationships will be your biggest downfall. Go for it, but don’t become Rose from Two and a Half Men.
• Squirt him with a water gun or reasonable facsimile of boy-related toys. Sound goofy and silly? Exactly. There’s a reason men prefer laser tag to long, intense conversations. If getting him to notice you is what you want, this will get his attention. Remember the kid in third grade who kept pulling your braids? The same concept will work for him 20 years later; just this time, you’re the one being the goof. Don’t take dating so seriously! Your playfulness will always be remembered, and hey, wouldn’t that make for a great “how did you two meet” story down the road? “She shot me!” Just remember, timing is everything here; don’t take this step when you are watching him defend his dissertation.
The Bottom Line
The bottom line with getting a specific man to notice you is to be noticeable. Women over-think this very easy step far too often and wind up trying too hard or playing too cool to notice. Men aren’t going to notice you if you don’t show them you are worth noticing. Do something great that stands out, smile, make eye contact and don’t be afraid to be a little goofy once in a while. These things will be the exact opposite of what he’s expecting from high-maintenance girls, which will ensure he notices you, so much so that he will pay more attention to you in the future.