Many people who find themselves bleaching their teeth often with DIY kits or getting bleaching treatments from the dentist don’t realize the damage that they are doing to their teeth. In some cases the damage is permanent. A lot of people who bleach their teeth using home kits made from gel trays and whitening strips don’t realize that those products aren’t meant to be used multiple times in a short time frame. Just because bleaching kits are sold over the counter in drugstore that doesn’t mean they are safe to on a regular basis. They can cause very serious damage to your teeth.
Whiter Teeth But Damaged Teeth
Using teeth whitening kits over and over will slowly strip the enamel off of your teeth. Once the enamel is gone the teeth will become stained very often because there will be no protective enamel left to cover the tooth. As the enamel wears away the caustic chemicals in the kit can even damage the pulp of the tooth. Damaged pulp will cause pain and it can weaken the tooth and eventually cause tooth loss. A better way to whiten your teeth is to use natural cleansers that won’t wear away the enamel of your teeth.
Over bleaching your teeth can also cause serious gum damage. When the gums are exposed to the whitening gels in either at home bleaching kits or dentist given whitening treatments they can become irritated or red and raw. If the bleaching gels sit on gums for just a few minutes they can be burned by the whitening gel. Burned gums can blister and become very painful, making it hard to eat and drink. Your mouth will look terrible and hurt badly. Your gums could even become infected. Over bleaching is a problem that happens to many people who aren’t careful about what products they use to whiten their teeth.